News 29 Mar 2021
How Turmeric Can Work As A Beauty Remedy
Every woman who has stood at the stove at least once in her life is familiar with a seasoning called turmeric. But most of them are unaware that turmeric can do much more than just add amazing flavours to Indian and Asian cuisines. For more than 4000 years, Ayurvedic medicine has known its other side - beauty and health benefits. And recently, modern research has fully confirmed this.
This article is about turmeric as a beauty remedy and the different ways to use it. But before we get into that, let's find out the origin and other interesting facts about this magical spice.
Some Facts About Turmeric
Turmeric, known as Curcumin long, belongs to the ginger family. It is a tropical plant that grows in a warm, humid climate and temperatures above 30 degrees. The origin of turmeric is still not fully known. However, it is believed that turmeric originated in South India, and this region is still the largest turmeric producer. Turmeric had spread to most of Asia, China, and Africa by 800 AD.
Turmeric has a special place in Indian cuisine and culture. It is used for the worship of the Sun God and the cleansing process. Not only in India, turmeric is also used by Buddhist monks, and it has been proven that turmeric was a part of Chinese medicine about 1000 years ago.
Benefits Of Turmeric For Skin
Now let's discuss some benefits of turmeric for the skin:
- Turmeric For A Natural Glow
Turmeric has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These benefits of turmeric help give our skin a glow and radiance. It is also a great natural exfoliator that flushes out the layer of dead skin cells and leaves skin looking natural, radiant, soft, and smooth.
How to use turmeric for glowing skin
- Combine a small amount of Greek yogurt (Strained yogurt, yogurt cheese, sack yogurt), honey, and turmeric to make a face mask. Apply to face, leave on for 15 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Mask with turmeric and besan (gram flour) is also one of the most effective masks for the face to naturally radiant skin. Mix 4 teaspoons of besan, about half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, and some milk to make a smooth paste. After that, apply it all over your face and let it sit for about 20 minutes before rinsing off. Use this remedy at least once a week to keep your skin glowing.
- Alternatively, you can mix half a cup of cucumber pulp, a tablespoon of turmeric, and a tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl. Make a fine paste and apply to the face, wait 15 minutes, and then wash off with water.
- You can also use turmeric drink for a naturally radiant complexion. Boil 2 cups of water and add half a teaspoon of ground turmeric. Stir and cover. Let it brew for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain water. You can also add some natural sweeteners like honey or ginger to enhance the flavor. Consume it cold or hot.
2. Use Turmeric For Skin Whitening
Turmeric works wonders for skin whitening. The main cause of skin darkening is the presence of melanin in the upper layer of the skin. Melanin is the skin pigment that determines the complexion. The more melanin, the darker the skin tone becomes.
In addition, turmeric can control melanin production and thus brighten skin tone. Besides melanin, sun damage is another important cause of skin darkening. Turmeric can also help us here. It protects our skin from sun damage, including photoaging. Let's find out how to benefit from turmeric below.
How to use turmeric for skin whitening
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of cornmeal, and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients well. Make a smooth paste and apply it to your skin.
- Leave it on for 20-25 minutes and wash off with cold water and apply moisturizer. Use this skin whitening treatment two or three times a week for naturally fair and vibrant skin.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric with 1 tablespoon of coconut milk. Apply to face and then massage in circular motions. Wait 20-30 minutes and wash off with warm water. This is a great whitening mask for dry skin. Coconut milk is a great moisturizer for dry skin. The high amount of vitamin C in coconut milk helps to improve skin elasticity and complexion. It also helps a lot in achieving flawless and radiant skin.
- Alternatively, you can also reap the benefits of turmeric by mixing it with an avocado. Mash 1/4 of the avocado to make a smooth paste. Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric, yogurt, and avocado paste and apply to the face. Leave it on the face for 15-20 minutes and wash off with warm water and then wash off with cold water. Repeat this skin whitening treatment three times a week.
3. Use Turmeric To Combat Ageing
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a very powerful antioxidant. It protects our body from harmful free radicals and also prevents premature ageing. What's more, turmeric is ranked sixth on the list of herbs and spices with the most antioxidants. In addition, turmeric can inhibit a key enzyme known as elastase, which can reduce the ability to form elastin. As we all know, elastin and collagen are very important substances that keep our skin texture and elasticity. Find out below how you can use turmeric's anti-ageing properties.
How to use turmeric to prevent signs of ageing
- Make a face mask by mixing 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of raw honey, and half a teaspoon of coconut oil. Apply to face and wait 10-20 minutes before washing off with a mild cleanser. Do this at least once or twice a week at night.
- Or you can mix turmeric powder, rice flour, raw milk, and tomato juice to make a powerful anti-ageing face mask. Apply to skin, wait 30 minutes, and then rinse off with warm water.
- You can also apply a mixture of turmeric powder and milk or yogurt. Rub it in a circular motion onto your face and wait to dry. Wash off with warm water.
4. Use Turmeric To Fight Acne
Turmeric is known for its amazing antibacterial properties. And that's why it is considered an excellent natural acne remedy. It kills acne-causing bacteria and also removes excess oil from the skin, which also controls breakouts. Turmeric is especially helpful for red or pus-filled pimples. Its anti-inflammatory properties speed up the healing process of acne and get rid of acne scars.
How to use turmeric for acne
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 3 tablespoons of milk, 2 tablespoons of besan, and a few drops of honey. Mix and apply to face. Let it dry and then wash it off. This is a great acne face pack containing all the benefits of turmeric.
- Or you can make a face mask by mixing half a teaspoon of turmeric, 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder, and some lime juice. Apply it to your skin, leave it on for 10 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water. You can substitute milk for lime juice if you have sensitive skin.
- Another way is to use a mixture of honey and turmeric to get rid of acne. Just mix some turmeric powder and honey to make a paste. Apply it on pimples, let dry, and then wash off. Repeat this several times a week for effective results.
The Benefits Of Using Turmeric As A Hair Treatment
Above, we discussed several of the benefits of turmeric for the skin. Now let's talk about the benefits of turmeric for hair.
- Treat Dandruff With Turmeric
As we have discussed above that turmeric has powerful antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. This is why getting rid of dandruff works wonders. Turmeric can also thoroughly cleanse the scalp and improve blood circulation, resulting in a healthy and clean scalp. Moreover, improved blood flow in the scalp also leads to better hair growth.
How to use turmeric to get rid of dandruff
- To reap the benefits of turmeric, mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, olive oil, or jojoba oil and apply this paste to your scalp. Wait 30 minutes to 1 hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- The 2nd way is to mix 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder, 3 teaspoons of olive oil, and a pinch of turmeric powder to make a hair mask. Apply to scalp and wait an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Black pepper has powerful anti-dandruff properties due to its zinc and selenium content.
2. Turmeric For Hair Loss
Both finasteride and curcumin work against hair loss by blocking the body's ability to convert testosterone into the more potent male hormone dihydrotestosterone, or DHT. This hormone can also cause male pattern baldness due to severe damage to the hair follicles and may be irreversible. Curcumin also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and fights inflammatory molecules in the body that can lead to hair loss. Research has shown that curcumin has antioxidant properties that can fight free radicals as well.
How to use turmeric to treat hair loss
Here's a great hair mask recipe to reap all the benefits of turmeric. Combine turmeric and raw milk to make a semi-liquid solution. If you have dry hair, add some honey to it. Lightly massage the scalp with the resulting mixture and leave it on for a while. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this twice a week for best results.
3. Turmeric For A Healthy Scalp
The antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, anti-allergic, antioxidant as well as antibacterial properties of turmeric are very helpful in preventing various scalp diseases. Turmeric can also be used to treat fungal infections, ermatitis, eczema, itching, inflammation, etc.
How to use turmeric to create a healthy scalp
Here's a very easy way to take advantage of the benefits of turmeric for your hair. Make a paste with turmeric powder and water and apply it to your scalp. Wait a while and wash off with cold water.
Turmeric As A Remedy Overall
Keep in mind that only topical application is not enough to get maximum results. To get the most out of your benefits, start using turmeric as a permanent spice, adding it to a wide variety of dishes, from teas, juices, and salads to soups and stews. Still, the maximum result cannot be achieved because the most effective ingredient in turmeric is curcumin which is present only 3% in turmeric. You should buy Turmeric Curcumin supplements that provide a more concentrated dose of curcumin. For quick and effective results, follow the remedies above and use Turmeric Curcumin Supplements.