News 11 Dec 2020
Glucosamine Chondroitin & MSM: What to Know?
Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM are natural components of connective tissue, building blocks for many structures of the human body. Their role in supporting and restoring the cartilage tissue of the joints has been most studied. With age, these substances are formed less and less, which leads to the destruction of cartilage and degenerative changes in the joints, accompanied by pain and restriction of movement. It is possible to replenish the deficiency of glucosamine chondroitin with the help of external sources - products and medicines where they are contained.
Glucosamine is a monosaccharide, that is, the simplest carbohydrate that is used to synthesize more complex organic substances. It is formed in cartilaginous tissue, its cells - chondrocytes - are responsible for this. Part of the glucosamine remains here, in the cartilage, as part of the matrix - the intercellular substance, which significantly predominates in volume over the cells.
Here, another important component is formed from it - chondroitin. The other part enters the intra-articular fluid, which ensures the sliding of the articular surfaces relative to each other, and also delivers nutrients to the cartilage tissue and removes decay products. Usually, this task is performed by the circulatory system, but there are no vessels in the cartilaginous tissue - they would not with stand the load that falls on the joints.
Functions Of Glucosamine In The Body
The functions of glucosamine are not limited to passive presence - it is involved in many important metabolic processes.
- Stimulates the formation of hyaluronic acid, which retains water in the connective tissue, providing elasticity.
- Stimulates the synthesis of collagen protein - an important component of cartilage that ensures its strength.
- Regulates the amount and composition of intra-articular (synovial) fluid.
- Inhibits inflammation in the tissues of the joint.
- Suppresses the formation of free radicals, slowing down the aging of the joint.
Glucosamine is present in all types of connective tissue and synovial fluid, but not just as a building material — it triggers and stimulates many chemical processes. Therefore, its deficiency has such a detrimental effect on the condition of the joints; for the same reason, the intake of chondroprotectors containing glucosamine is effective.
Chondroitin is formed in cartilage cells from glucosamine and is actively involved in the life of the entire joint. It is a more complex and specific substance than glucosamine; it is also found in cartilage, ligaments and bones. Chondroitin structures the connective tissue, interacting with all its other components and thus providing strength. Part of chondroitin is involved in the formation of the structures of the eye, skin and large vessels. Chondroitin is part of the most important articular structures - cartilage, ligaments and bones, but its role is not limited to this.
Functions Of Chondroitin In The Body
Also, like its predecessor, chondroitin is involved in metabolic processes:
- Stimulates the synthesis of hyaluronic acid, which strengthens not only cartilage but also ligaments and tendons.
- Stimulates the formation of other substances from which cartilage is built.
- Retains water in the cartilage in the form of small cavities that improve shock absorption.
- Blocks many enzymes that destroy connective tissue.
- Increases the production of synovial fluid and improves its fluidity, maintaining its natural viscosity.
- Suppresses lipid synthesis, there by preventing the development of atherosclerosis in the walls of blood vessels.
- Has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) - plant chondroprotector
The organosulfur compound methylsulfonylmethane has been found in some primitive plants. Studies have shown the presence of anti-inflammatory properties, which are well manifested in the treatment of joint diseases. The chemical element sulfur is part of the proteins of muscle tissue, bones and joints, so it is important to ensure that it is supplied to the body in sufficient quantities.
MSM is used as a good source of this element as it contains 34% sulfur in a bioavailable form. Now MSM is used as a dietary supplement, most often in combination with glucosamine and chondroitin.
Benefits of Glucosamine Chondroitin + MSM combination
Glucosamine with chondroitin and MSM are produced in sufficient quantities in cartilage tissue, but usually only in a young and healthy body. With age, chondrocytes become less active and produce less and less of these substances necessary for the joint. As a result, dystrophic processes begin in the cartilage: it loses its strength, elasticity, and absorbs worse. The amount of synovial fluid decreases - the joint heads no longer move so easily relative to each other, the nutrition of the joints is disrupted. Then there is a crunch, clicking, unpleasant sensations with sudden and awkward movements, increased loads. Intra-articular fluid provides cartilage with useful substances, if it is not enough, the tissues "starve". This further aggravates the degeneration process. However, at first, it is reversible: with a sufficient amount of glucosamine and chondroitin, the cartilage could be restored, but the deficiency of these substances dooms a person to a gradual deterioration in the condition of the joints. Against the background of the destruction of cartilaginous tissue, arthrosis, osteoarthritis, accompanied by pain and inflammation develop. With the progression of the disease, deformities, and significant limitation of movements in the joints are possible. Food sulfur (MSM) acts in this complex as a connecting link, which is necessary for the fastest and most complete absorption of glucosamine and chondroitin.
Thus, glucosamine chondroitin MSM works in several ways:
- maintaining joint health.
- prevention of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
- restoration and treatment of joint diseases.
For treatment, it is better to choose not biologically active additives, but full-fledged drugs that have passed all the necessary studies, where they have confirmed their effectiveness and safety. It is also worth paying attention to the composition: the glucosamine chondroitin with MSM is more effective than each component separately.
Joint Health Products
The group of joint diseases is very extensive: it includes inflammatory (arthritis, bursitis, synovitis) and degenerative (arthrosis, chondrosis), the consequences of various injuries. Their specificity is such that an isolated pathological process of one type is rarely found; more often they proceed in parallel, in some cases, one even becomes the cause of the other.
- against the background of dystrophic processes, inflammatory processes often develop - this is how osteoarthritis is formed.
- a joint weakened by dystrophic processes is easier to injure.
- the trauma suffered can trigger the process of cartilage degeneration or provoke inflammation.
- Acute inflammation (arthritis, bursitis) rarely passes without a trace - the nutrition of the cartilage is seriously disturbed, which causes degenerative changes and chronic inflammatory processes.
Because of the blurred boundaries of each disease, they are often grouped together into a single group called "arthropathies". Of course, if possible, they make a specific diagnosis - this is important for proper treatment. Therapy for rheumatoid arthritis and, for example, chlamydial arthritis, will be different. But with any arthropathy, it is important to restore the cartilage tissue. In some diseases, its destruction is the main cause, in others, it is a consequence, but it always suffers. With a shortage of glucosamine and chondroitin in the body, it is necessary to ensure their supply from the outside. For example, with food: jellied meat, aspic, various jellies contain chondroitin, and our distant ancestors received it by eating cartilage and veins of animals. And yet, the amount of the necessary substance in food is not so great, and it is impossible to constantly eat the listed products. Therefore, drugs are usually used as their source.
Chondroprotectors need to be taken in long courses (from 3 months to six months or more). It is necessary to form a sufficient supply of substances necessary for cartilage so that recovery processes begin in it. There are practically no side effects with drugs in this group. Therefore, chondroprotectors are taken not only for severe joint problems but also to avoid them in the transition to a more severe stage.
What are the forms of chondroprotectors - capsules, tablets, injections, ointment (gel)?
Chondroprotectors have established themselves as an effective way to combat joint pathologies. Depending on the situation, they are prescribed in different forms:
- Injections are injected directly into the joint capsule. They help to quickly restore the volume of synovial fluid, have a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. The course is usually 8-15 procedures. But it must be borne in mind that the injections are quite painful and must be performed perfectly accurately.
- Ointments and gels are prescribed for external use. They do not act as quickly as injections, but they give a good result as a part of complex therapy. An acceptable option for athletes whose joints are intact but need additional protection. In addition, such products usually include pain-relieving and warming components that promote rapid tissue repair.
- Tablets and capsules are the best options for the treatment and prevention of pathological manifestations in the joints. The active substances in them, as a rule, are present in the most bioavailable form of sulfates. The drugs act in a complex way, help to remove the cause of the ailment, and not only to alleviate the symptoms. In addition, the effect of the pills is cumulative. To prevent the problem from returning, it is enough to drink a prophylactic course every six months.
Features of the supplement Glucosamine Chondroitin and MSM
According to reviews, glucosamine chondroitin MSM has a positive effect from the very first intake of the supplement. Immediately feels an improvement in well-being, a charge of new energy, oppressive pain symptoms are eliminated.
The natural product combines the optimal formula of all active substances. At the same time, they reinforce each other's actions and serve as an indispensable aid for joint health. Quality certificates confirm the safety of the food additive, and it is also suitable for vegetarians. It is recommended to take the drug strictly according to the instructions and not to exceed the dose, in some cases, consult a specialist.
Our online store "Orphic Nutrition" is well known to all sports lovers and adherents of an active lifestyle. We carefully check the quality of the supplements before offering it to customers, so you will find only high-quality dietary supplements with chondroitin content in our online store.